Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Where do I begin

Hello everyone!

So my sister Julie suggested that I start a blog to try to keep everyone in touch with the little things that happen with our first pregnancy and so that you can hear about the little things and reactions that you might otherwise miss. So...here we go.

As most of you probably know it was a rough first 4 weeks so far with my car accident the day after we found out we were pregnant and then getting a terrible case of the flu over Christmas (and can I just say I can’t even begin to remember the last time I had the flu so of course I have to get it now). Also, the constant sickness I have been having has been indescribable – and yes all the previous pregnant moms are allowed to laugh at me right now. I was reading in a book the other day about how moms tend to get amnesia after they have the baby and forget how miserable the pregnancy can be sometimes because if they remembered there would be no more babies – well as of right now – I have to agree with that statement. I just keep telling myself that all of the dry heaving and getting up at 3am to pee will all be worth it in the end.

Finding what to eat is the next battle. Nothing sounds good and there are so many faux pas now about what is allowed and what isn’t. I think I would have liked the days of surviving off Mt. Dew and Honey Nut Cheerios just to make sure you were eating something – anything that was good to you. That is not allowed in today’s society but it makes me wonder…didn’t all of the rest of us turn out just fine??? And are all of these precautions necessary?? I of course will not be the first pregnant mom to test it – but it still makes one wonder.

The Soon to Be Dad of Three has been great when he remembers that I am pregnant. A lot of times I get the “look” when I say I can’t pick something up or that I am really tired so then he gets the “look” back and the response is “Oh yeah…I forgot.” Last night I asked him to bring a Mc Donald’s cheeseburger and side salad home after Cub Scouts with my son. He came home and told me – “I am starting to like this pregnancy thing” then proceeded to tell me how they did not have any side salads left and the manager asked him if he should make one. He told the manager “I have a pregnant wife at home and if I don’t come home with a salad I am going to be in big trouble.” The manager I guess smiled and made him a salad and then proceed to get the exact dressing and whatever else he thought I might need. Of course all this was fine with me because I got a delicious salad and that is all that matters.

So I have my first doctor’s visit today and I have no idea what is going to happen and for those of you that really know me – this is driving me crazy. I think the lack of control over my body and the next 9 months is what is the hardest for me to handle. Not knowing how I will feel from one day to the next or if I will be able to stay awake long enough after I get home from work to get anything done at the house. I hear the second trimester is the best so I am patiently waiting. But back to the doctor…I am supposed to ask questions at the first visit to make sure this is the doctor I want and let him know what exactly my thoughts are, but how can you ask questions about something you have only read about in a book? If he tells me his c-section rate is 25% instead of 15% is that really going to matter to me? Oh well – we will see. And then I had to let the Soon to Be Dad of Three know what to expect at the visit – the fact that another man will be examining me – I thought he would pass out! It was kind of funny actually, but I know I shouldn’t laugh. It made me think of that friends episode where Rachel is getting checked out for the first time by her OBGYN and Ross comes in and she keeps telling him to stand by her head – that is what I made sure to tell the Soon to Be Dad of Three ahead of time.

So long for now until the saga of the first visit is over…

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great way to keep all of us up to date with your progress and feelings! It helps me feel like I am there with you (and I wish I was!) It made me laugh, the part about the side salad at McDonald's. Your hubby did the right thing, because if he would have come home without that salad, you probably would have castrated him right then and there. And of course, nobody can understand that feeling unless they have been in those same shoes! I had that same type of feeling involving Taco John's potato oles.... =)
    Love ya babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I was kind of joking when I suggested a blog. Tara Thomas a news caster did it when she had a baby a while ago, it was kind of neat!You did it so quickly...It took me forever to figure out how to do this I know you are surprised!!My hat is off to Ryan..But I new He would be GREAT!! Jeanette Don't worry about lack of control of your body just try to relax and enjoy the ride. It will be the most wonderful trip you will ever take!! Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete